Saturday 7 January 2017

Living with failure

One of my favourite subjects when I was at school was technical drawing.  I was a keen mathematician and technical drawing seemed to grow out of that.  However, I have never had good control over my hands and drawing neat lines was a problem. It ought not to have been a problem since we used a tool called a clutch pencil and mistakes could be erased.  But that was where things always seemed to get worse.  My attempts to erase failure always seemed to leave behind the evidence.  As much as I loved the subject, my messy work let me down time and again.

I intended to entitle this article, ‘starting afresh’, but ‘living with failure’ seemed more honest.  I thank God that his mercy endures for ever, and that he gives the opportunity for fresh starts again and again.  However, even if we managed to never make the same mistake twice, we often find that, from our perspective, something of past failures remain in our lives, rather like the evidence left behind when I tried to erase my mistakes on the drawing board. But is that necessarily a bad thing?

If we have let ourselves and God down (and anyone else), it is wonderful to know that God completely forgives when we repent.  From his point of view, it seems the evidence has been erased.  So, we talk about what God forgives he forgets.  However, I’m not sure that it is that simple.  Jeremiah 31 speaks about the New Covenant and in verse 34 God promises that in that day he will not remember the sins of his people any more.  But I’m not sure that the doctrine of forgiveness and justification grows out of an inability to remember.  Is it that God cannot remember what we have repented of, or that he chooses to forget them?  Surely the wonder of salvation is that God knows all too well our weaknesses but so forgives us that it is as if we had never sinned.

I used to look at my technical drawings with huge disappointment.  The more I tried to erase my mistakes the worse I seemed to make it.  Of course, I should have been using my mistakes to make me extra careful in future.  That way living with failure would have led to a positive outcome.  These days, the essential tremor that affects my hands means that I type rather than write, and try to be careful if carrying anything with liquid in it, like a hot cup of coffee.  I recognise I have a weakness and learn to live sensibly.

Many years ago, when I was living in community, we had a well-known painting of an English, blonde Jesus staring knowingly out of the picture frame.  Beneath it were the words,” The Lord turned and looked upon Peter and Peter remembered”. The picture was inspired by words from Luke 22:61 and record a moment as Jesus was led from the house of the High Priest where he was on trial for his life.  Peter had adamantly assured Jesus that he would never let him down.  But, in the pressure of the situation in the courtyard, he had three times denies knowing Jesus.  What was in that look that Jesus gave to Peter, that made Peter remember, then go out and weep bitterly?

Doreen and I once attended a performance by the Rev Frank Topping of The Impossible God.  It had a powerful impact on me.  The dramatization of this story I knew so well gripped me in a new way.  It seemed to grip the audience in the Stables Theatre in Hastings, possibly as many had not realised the message and purpose of the performance.  I found myself beginning to understand how Peter must have felt.  I was also moved by the scene of Thomas meeting the risen Jesus.  There is a line which goes something like, “Those were not nail prints; they were chasms of love”!  Wow!

Prior to this I used to state that it was the baptism of the Holy Spirit Peter experienced on the Day of Pentecost that made him a different man. But then I saw things differently.  How important was it that Peter made such a dreadful mess of things and knew that he could never put it right?  How important was it to hear again loving words and receive loving looks from the One he had failed, and who knew his failure?

I do not believe in the so-called doctrine of sinless perfection.  I am not glad that I fail and mess things up between me and the Lord, but I think that living with failure in the light of God’s unconditional love is important.  In my teens, I was a zealous Christian who tried to be a better Christian than others of whom I was critical.  When I heard about the baptism in the Holy Spirit, I started attending special prayer meetings where people met to seek this experience. I saw many of my peers receive the Holy Spirit just as people did on the Day of Pentecost.  But I left these meetings disappointed.  I could not understand why God blessed others and not me when I was sure that I was at least as good if not better than them.

Some months later, in a church meeting and listening to a sermon from a man whose life I could see was marred by a critical spirit, God met with me.  As I rehearsed his failings before God and asked why he had the audacity to preach at me, the Holy Spirit withdrew from me.  In a moment, I knew why.  The faults I found in him were also in my life.  I prayed that God would take the bitterness from my heart and baptise me in his love.  Immediately I was baptised in the Holy Spirit, just as the disciples had experienced in Jerusalem so many years before.

My failure to see myself as I really was, had become the reason I was failing to experience all that God wanted to do in my life.  There is an important balance to be struck in the aspect of forgiving ourselves.  God does not want us to cart around unnecessary guilt when he offers forgiveness and reconciliation.  However, it is important that we acknowledge that we do mess up from time to time.  God does not look at you and me through some kind of divine blinkers.  The wonder of grace is that he sees us as we really are, yet still lives us and offers us forgiveness.  We also need to see ourselves as we really are as we take hold of that love and forgiveness.  Facing up to my mess, helps me to move on with God, and deepens my awe of him.

From the Diary
Tuesday 10th – HMP Gartree
Wednesday 11th – Churches Rural Group (representing the Rural Evangelism Network and smaller Free Churches)
Friday 13th – Interviewing a student moving into ministry.

Thank you for your fellowship.

Barry 

No comments:

Post a Comment