Thursday 10 November 2016

The Blessing of Old Hymns

A few days ago, when contemplating what I might write here, an old favourite hymn came to mind, causing me to meditate afresh upon its words. So, I shall share that with hymn with you here.  Much as I love some short contemporary expressions of worship, I still value enormously many older hymns which reflect on scriptural truths.  My only hesitancy in using them in public worship is the presence Thee and Thou where in all other parts of the service I am careful to use contemporary English.

For me, hymns that I find useful either apply truth to my heart or enable a deep sense of communion with God.  The latter is a spiritual experience and quite distinct from a merely emotional response.  It is not that an emotional response is not acceptable; it has its place.  Indeed, there are some hymns and songs, old and new, that have moved me to tears or made me laugh.  But I suspect this has only happened because there has been a truly spiritual engagement first.  It is reasonably easy to discern whether something read, said or sung has led to an encounter with God, as distinct from just engaging the mind, or an emotion.  It is that deeper engagement that I value and seek.

As a child, I attended church activities and learned choruses and hymns. Some I remember vividly, are choruses we sang on film nights as the reels were being changed on the 16mm projector half way through the film (this was highly technical back in the fifties!).  They included, The Best Book to Read is the Bible, I Will Make you Fishers of Men, and Throw out the Lifeline.

I was intrigued to read in a niece’s latest blog how she has been reflecting on Count Your Blessings, another golden oldie.  The hymn I have chosen to share with you was, I believe, first brought to my attention in the National Sunday School Union Hymn Book.  It is based upon Psalm 23 (The Lord is my Shepherd) but includes an allusion to the journey of the People of Israel through the wilderness.  If my memory is correct I would have sung it before the age of 10.  It became precious to me once again at the age of 17.  I remember writing out the words and displaying them on the wall of the office where I worked after leaving school.

Father hear the prayer we offer:
Not for ease that prayer would be,
But for strength, that we may ever
Live our lives courageously.

I am not sure that many contemporary hymns take seriously the fact that the call to follow Jesus, is an invitation to hardship.  Many Christians would prefer to ask for an easy way, full of joy and peace.  But this hymn brings a challenge from its first verse.  For me, it resonates with the prayer of St Ignatius Loyola, which was used in my Primary School Assemblies:

Teach us, good Lord, to serve you as you deserve; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labour and not to ask for any reward, save that of knowing that we do your will.

From an early age, I clearly understood that the call to follow Jesus was not a call to ease.  Please take a few moments to meditate on that first verse and those that follow here:

Not for ever in green pastures
do we ask our way to be ;
but the steep and rugged pathway
may we tread rejoicingly.

Not forever by still waters
would we idly rest and stay;
but would smite the living fountains
from the rocks along our way.

Be our strength in hours of weakness,
in our wanderings be our Guide;
through endeavour, failure, danger,
Saviour, be thou at our side.

The hymn was written by Love Maria Willis in 1864.  I have wondered what might have brought it to my mind.  It is possible that one contributing factor was a service taken recently for Elstow Bunyan Church, Bedfordshire, where my theme was Peter’s feelings after the death and resurrection of Jesus, as recorded in John 21.  Here we see the same impetuous Peter, but one who is challenged about himself and his love for his Master.  I suspect he went through an emotional roller coaster that culminated in hearing chilling words about his future, along with the refreshed challenge to follow Jesus.

Since childhood I have been familiar with the lives of Christians who have made a difference in this world and helped to advance the Kingdom of God.  In every case, there has been a price to pay.  Yes, there are blessings with mountain-top experiences, but there have also deep valleys and tears. 

Paul’s letter to the Philippians is known for its call to rejoice.  But it was written from a prison by a man who was prepared to endure all things for the sake of Christ.  So I challenge myself afresh today with Love Maria Willis’ hymn, and make it my prayer that each day I will choose the narrow way over the broad way.  Green pastures and still waters exist alongside dark valleys.

From the Diary
October ended with a disaster.  On 29th we were due to run a webinar on Ideas for Mission over Christmas and the Winter months.  Sadly, ninety minutes before it was due to go out, we discovered that we were unable to connect to the host system from our computer.  Despite all our efforts, including a long trans-Atlantic call, the event had to be cancelled.  Three days later we managed to get it fixed and we rescheduled the Webinar for the following Wednesday evening.  This was recorded and converted into a video.

There are a lot of useful ideas and suggestions in this video, and I recommend taking 45 minutes out to watch it from the Rural Mission Solutions website by clicking this link which will take you to the relevant section.  You will also find several helpful free items you can download from thispage.   Please help yourself.

Another recent activity was linked with the Rural Evangelism Network.  A mailing has been sent out, two new members received in, and I am now running a series of online conversations with REN members as we explore what we can do together to promote rural evangelism.

Toward the end of October, I shared in the teaching for the Salvation Army safeguarding course.  The feedback from this was fantastic and so encouraging.  Following this I have been invited to do a similar piece of work with the Baptist Union of Great Britain & Ireland and will be providing input at an event in Birmingham this Friday 11th November.

Thank you for your prayers supporting activities over the past two weeks.  This Sunday is a free day but during next week there are mission activities most days of the week including speaking at a Torch Fellowship Group on Monday, my regular ministry in prison on Tuesday, an event for children and families on Saturday and ministry in Leicestershire on Sunday 20th.  Prayer support appreciated for these please.  Please uphold the work of prison chaplains at this time of under-staffing levels in prisons.

Together with one of our trustees we are seeking to develop the Children & Families aspect of Rural Mission Solutions, ably led by my colleague Katrina.  There will be some planning activities over the next week.

Thank you.


Barry Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment