Sunday 16 October 2016

How would you like to be blessed?

One of the things that annoy me slightly is hearing people praying for others that they will be blessed.  What I mean is simply using the phrase “We pray that you will bless them/her/him”.  I find myself wondering whether such a prayer annoys God as much as it annoys me.  I can imagine God scratching his head and wondering, “Whatever am I supposed to do?” (purists please forgive my anthropomorphism and gender suggestion!). “Do I heal them?  Do I guide them? Do I provide them with a new wardrobe of clothes?”

The trouble is it seems so general as to be vague, when what God might want is for us to be more specific.  Perhaps from God’s point of view such a general prayer is heard but then God’s wisdom decided what might be appropriate.  But I can’t help thinking it is a slightly lazy way to pray, and that with a little prayerful thought we could home in on what is really needed an be specific.  Could it possibly be that such general prayer is so vague as to be a waste of time and end up in the spam filter!

Solomon was pretty specific when he asked for wisdom (1Kings 3:4-16).  Hannah was pretty specific when she asked for a child (1Samuel 1: 1-20).  Nehemiah was pretty specific when he asked for the King to be favourable to the scheme he had in mind (Nehemiah 1). Bartimaeus was pretty specific when Jesus asked what exactly did he want Jesus to do for him (Mark 10:46-52).  Some of my most interesting answers to prayer have been when I have been specific. 

The reader may have heard me tell of one of my first specific prayers.  I was a young man in full time evangelistic work and having to look to God for most of my personal needs.  I needed a new suit for work and fancied I would look good in a grey suit.  So instead of praying that the Lord would give me a suit I asked specifically for a grey suit.  A week later, one of my colleagues turned up wearing a smart new grey suit.  I was quite convinced that somehow things had got confused and Alf had ended up with the suit that should have come to me (howbeit what fitted Alf would not have fitted me!).  I shared my concern with God and repeated my request.

I need not have worried.  About a week later we were staying with Pam and David near Cardiff while working in that area.  I was still struggling to look smart in a blue tired blue suit that quickly became crumpled and attracted dirt as soon as I put it on.  Then, one day, Pam’s brother visited on the way to Rhoose Airport.  He explained that he was going on holiday and had been packing his bag when he noticed an almost brand new suit he had hardly worn but would not now fit him.  As he had reflected on what to do, apparently I came to his mind.  I had told no one what I had prayed.  He asked me if I would be embarrassed if he offered me this suit.  I couldn’t resist asking what the colour was.  He replied…. Yes, you’ve got it…. grey!  And the amazing thing was that it fitted me perfectly.

A few years later and the grey suit was beginning to look worn.  This time I prayed for a navy blue suit with a stripe in the weave.  I knew exactly the pattern and asked God if he would provide me with the suit in this particular pattern.  Then, I wondered if I was being presumptuous so I added, ”But Lord, I will accept whatever you provide”.  No sooner than I had prayed that when I thought that God’s sense of humour could result in my having to accept and wear a pink suit!

Again I told no other person what I had asked of God.  Within a matter of days, I was the recipient of two suits from separate sources, and I could have worn the jacket of one with the trousers of the other.  They were both navy with the exact pattern I had in mind.

Both scripture and my experience teach me that wonderful things happen when we are more specific in prayer.  I would like my readers to be blessed but as some of you I do not know, and some others I haven’t seen for a long time, I’m not able to be specific.  So, in this situation, would you mind putting in the specificity and as I pray that you will be blessed through reading this, please ask God for a specific need in your life to be met.  Now, not all our prayers are immediately answered with a positive response from God, but please do give it a try, and let me know when God has answered your specific prayer.  You might find it helpful to wait on God first and ask him to help you to know what your greatest need is at this time.

Next I want to ask you to pray for a friend or neighbour to be blessed.  It doesn’t matter if that person is not a Christian.  Tell them that you want to pray that God will bless them, and ask if there is anything special they might want you to pray about.  Please assure them that you will be discreet about anything they mention and this will remain a personal prayer.  Try to discourage being asked to win the lottery, or get a brand new Porsche (or husband).  But there may be a real need behind a flippant answer. Incidentally, don’t be surprised if you are already the answer to their prayer!

From the Diary
It was good to be at the Germinate Conference yesterday. About 180 people attended including many who are Christians living and seeking to serve God in rural areas.  I was one of the exhibitors and we had a large number of people who either took resources and information, or with whom Gordon Banks and I had useful conversations, as we sought to bless them.  Please give thanks.

Please pray for our friends at the Arthur Rank Centre who organised the event on behalf of the Churches Rural Group.  Specifically, please pray for Jerry, Jill, Katrina, Elizabeth, and Louise that each will have an encouraging week. Give thanks for their friendship with us.

This Monday (17th) I shall be travelling to Stoke on Trent, as I join with my good friend and former colleague in mission, Alfred Lavender as we give thanks for the life of his wife, Sylvia, whom the Lord has called home. Pray for Alfred and family.

Please pray for Sue and Tony Newnham, also good friends and former colleagues in mission, as Sue has started her chemo treatment for ovarian cancer.  There are encouraging signs of answers to prayer already.

On Wednesday I shall be taking part the Churches Rural Group Meeting at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire.

On Thursday I shall be taking part in the Group for Evangelization meeting in London.

On Saturday I shall be teaching on the Salvation Army’s Safeguarding Course in London.

On Sunday 23rd I shall be taking the morning service at Elstow Congregational Church, Bedfordshire.  This is John Bunyan’s village.

Please pray for these activities, for safe travelling, and that God will cause me to be a blessing in each situation.

Finally, Gordon Banks and I are preparing material for the webinar (online seminar) on Saturday 29th at 9.00.  Please visit the Rural Mission Solutions website for details and, if you can spend 45 minutes with us, you will find the link you need to register in advance.  The specific prayer linked to this is that at least 50 people will attend the webinar and find it helpful.  The theme this time is suggestions for mission activity through the winter.

Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment