Saturday 11 June 2016

The Point and Pointlessness of Prayer

One of the earliest tasks I was given when I joined a mission organisation in my teens was to write the monthly prayer letter that was sent out to prayer groups around the country.  Each month I focused on a different aspect of prayer with a short reflection.  It made me familiar with the many amazing promises we have in scripture regarding the privilege and power of prayer.  Recently I have ministered on situations where prayer made a difference in what seemed impossible.

We looked at the account of Peter in prison pending almost certain death, where the whole church gathered in prayer meetings. I love the “BUT” in Acts 12 verse 5.  Then we looked at 1Samuel 1 and noticed how Hannah poured out her heart and soul in prayer, which led to the birth of a great prophet. Finally, we looked at 1Kings 18 where we noticed one prayer that was instantly answered, and one that seemed to take some time.  What we noted particularly was that Elijah persisted in prayer until the evidence was visible.  Even where there is faith there is often a need for persistence.
It is said that Charles Haddon Spurgeon, a famous and effective Baptist preacher attributed his effectiveness to the twelve men who prayed in a room below the pulpit as he preached. The point of prayer is that it changes things.

But there are also times when prayer is pointless. Many years ago, as a young, foolish and newly married man, both my wife and I worked in a Mission organisation and lived in community.  My wife became very ill as a result of the amount of work she was expected to undertake seven days a week.  The director of the Mission and head of the community was autocratic and had developed a culture of self-denial and obedience. A favourite saying was that it is better to burn out than rust out. Time and again I brought her heath issue to the attention of the governing body where the members expressed genuine sympathy and prayed about it.  But nothing changed.

One night, I lay in bed next to my wife who had cried herself to sleep.  I was angry with God and, in my mind, I shouted at God.  “When are you going to do something?”. To my amazement I heard an immediate reply.  Whether the voice was aloud or only in my head I do not know. “When are YOU going to do something? I heard.  Surprised by a prayer that had developed into a conversation, I asked, “Are you saying that it’s my responsibility?” To which I received a two-word reply, “Isn’t it?”. The organisation’s culture and my own stupidity had blinded me to my duty of love and care for my wife.  I also realised I had been asking God to do for me what he had asked me to do for him.

I immediately made my decision and the following morning gave notice that we would be moving out of the community and would reduce the hours we would work. Within two weeks we received an application from a younger couple looking for Christian work, and my wife’s health began to recover.

God calls all of us to share in his mission in the world today.  You have a particular part in his plan.  But your own wisdom, strength, intelligence and skills will not be sufficient. We are all dependent upon God, and that is why we need prayer.  We also need to recognise that asking God to do what he has asked us to do is pointless.  If we want to see revival, people won for Jesus, and the kingdom of God growing, then we must do our part.

Why not take stock now to see what we have been praying about that seems pointless, and explore whether there are some things God is wanting us to do for him. Usually, it is when we wake up to this that we see God at work – not for us, but with us.

Personal News
Doreen and I have been immensely grateful and very moved by the love shown and the prayers offered as she has undergone surgery for cancer.  This week we were informed that the cancer had been completely removed and that there was no sign of cancer in the surrounding tissues and blood vessels.  She has to take a daily tablet for five years and have an annual check-up.  We thank God for the way Doreen and I have felt so supported and have come through this time.

Summer Mission Ideas
Please book Saturday 25th June from 9.00am to 9.45am when Gordon Banks and I share various ideas for outreach during the summer months, in an online seminar.  Even if your church already has plans, you will find this a helpful ‘webinar’. Webinars, consist of a presentation with the option of asking questions or taking part by voting.  We also provide papers that you can download with all kinds of information. These are completely free but you need to register your intention to join us online so we can provide you with the access details.  On registering you will be asked for your name and email address, but this is for our use and will not be passed on to any third party.  You can join using a computer, a tablet, or even a smart phone. You will need sound.  To register click here.

Ministry at Yelvertoft ends
My responsibilities at Yelvertoft Congregational Church cease at the end of June. Since I gave notice of resigning the church has had a number of other challenges that have developed unexpectedly.  I ask your prayers as the members refocus under the leadership of Jim Lyon.  Jim and his wife Jan, have been valued members of the congregation.  A few years ago he moved back into the village from nearby Rugby where he was part of the leadership of another church.  It certainly looks like God’s appointment and I am encouraged by this development.

Promoting Rural Mission
Time saved as a result of laying down the responsibility at Yelvertoft will be invested in promoting rural mission and evangelism.  Some of this will involve serving rural churches and some will be spent in advocacy and education.  I have also been asked to write up the Tailored Mission approach in a workbook, and this will have priority, alongside promoting Rural Mission Consultations and encouraging networking.

I will have a number of Sundays free during the second half of this year and would be happy to hear from anyone who might appreciate a visit.

Many years ago a Christian leader used to greet Christians he met by asking, “Do I meet you praying?”.  We all have odd moments through each day when we could pray, usually with eyes open.  Let’s not waste them.

Thank you for your fellowship,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment