Saturday 13 June 2015

What a Friend!

"I no longer call you servants... instead I have called you friends" (John 15:15)
 
I wonder whether the disciples to whom Jesus said these words realised just how amazing it is.  The one who was from the beginning and without whom nothing was made that has been made, the one who stills storms and feed multitudes with miraculous provision, calls us his friends.

There is a great hymn by James Small which celebrates this. "I've found a friend, oh such a friend, he loved me e'er I knew him.  He drew me with the cords of love, and thus he bound me to hi. And round my hear still closely twine those cords which naught can sever.  For I am his, and he is mine, for ever and for ever!"  Many other Christian hymns and songs, old and new also celebrate this extraordinary relationship.

I love the definition of a friend which says it is someone who knows your faults and loves you anyway. The majority of those who receive these emailed letters I would describe as friends, and hope that it would be reciprocated.  But of course there are different levels of friendship.  Good friendships exist because we are prepared to open up ourselves to them and because we give time to nurture that friendship and show that we care.

Sadly, during much of the first 25 years of ministry I was unable to develop friendships as I wished because of the nature of the organisation I then worked in.  This was also a factor in losing contact with good friends from school days.  But I have been doing my best to renew those links and to make myself a better friend to others

None of us can ever be as faithful a friend as Jesus is to us, but in what ways do we seek to nurture that friendship?  Do we spend enough time consciously experiencing his presence?  Do we start the day by enquiring whether he has plans for us to do together?  Are we careful not to offend him?  Do we stand up for him when others misuse his name?  Are we keen to introduce our best Friend to others that they might enjoy that friendship too?  Can  I really call him "my friend" if I fail to act as a good friend to him?


Changes in Trustees
Among my friends some serve as trustees of Sunrise Ministries which is the charity through which all my rural ministry is exercised. We have been well served by the Rev John Bradley for several years.  John is a friend going back many years to a time when we had the privilege of serving his church in Devon.  He is a Methodist Minister and has served in the UK and in the Ivory Coast.  More lately he worked as a staff member of Churches Together in England.  Despite having Multiple Sclerosis he has served the Lord energetically.  Declining health brought that phase of ministry to an end. His more recent health battle has been with cancer.  Sadly we have had to accept hisresignation from the Board but John continues to give us the benefit of his wisdom and experience as a consultant.  John writes good material including some witty stories and I hope to be able to pass on a link to these or publish them on our website.  Better still I hope to record him reading these.  We owe John (and consequently his family) a big thank you.

Gordon Banks is another good friend and this month joined the Board of Trustees.  Gordon and I have worked together on many occasions.  He is a Church Army Officer and has represented the CA within the Rural Evangelism Network.  He has also held diocesan posts in mission and evangelism for the Diocese of Truro, the Diocese of Chichester and is currently serving the Diocese of Lichfield.  Gordon also serves on the Committee of the Rural Evangelism Network.  He and I have shared in running rural mission consultations in the past and I value his particular perspective.  One of the approaches he developed when serving in the Diocese of Chichester was a way of planning mission and evangelism based upon seasons (climate, ecclesial and local).  This scheme been taken up and promoted by others.  Gordon and I plan to include a series of seasonal ideas for mission in the programme of Rural Mission Webinars.

Gordon joins Mr Chris Knott, Rev Jim Mullin, Rev Graham Wise, and Mr Tim Woodward.  Your prayers for our trustees will be appreciated.

 

Prayers for Monica
Monica Cook is another special friend and we have worked together for around 40 years.  Most readers will be aware that it was discovered earlier this year that Monica has a brain tumour.  It is a particularly aggressive tumour and although she has had surgery and a course of radiotherapy it seems the tumour continues to invade Monica's brain.  Arrangements have been made for her to have live-in carers as she needs support for even basic matters.  Good friends from her church and other local Christians have networked together in supporting her.  Monica appreciates the love that has been shown and the many messages she has received.  Unable to manage emails and with limited ability to write the best means of contacting her is by phone.  However, she now tires quickly and conversations need to be kept brief.

A few days ago she was admitted to hospital with what turned out to be a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on her lungs).  She has also been found to have high levels of blood sugar.  As I write this Monica is still in hospital and her condition is being carefully monitored. While she has been pleased to have visitors she cannot manage more that a few moments of conversation.  News of her condition is updated regularly on the Rural Mission Solutions Website.  Please keep her in your prayers and pray also for all who are caring for her and for her brother and other relatives and close friends.

 

Other Matters for Praise & Prayer
We give thanks for a useful trustees meeting last Monday and for my time in Northern Ireland Tuesday to Friday.I was in N.I. as a guest of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland and as Convenor of the Congregational Federation's Inter-Church Board.  The NSPCI, which was holding its Annual Synod, is a relatively small denomination but they provided generous hospitality and the sense of real Christian fellowship was excellent.  The Synod concluded on Wednesday but I stayed a little longer to assist in discussion between the NSPCI and CF.  Before flying back on Friday I called into the offices of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland (wearing my rural mission hat) to follow up on work I have done before fore them in 2013.

Please pray for the Conference on Creating and Growing Discipleship in the Countryside which will be held this week at Swanwick, Derbyshire.  Unfortunately I am not free to attend but I hope this conference proves beneficial.


Sunday 14th - Yelvertoft Congregational Church (Northants)
Monday 15th - School Assembly, Lubenham, Leics.
Tuesday 16th - School Assembly - Yelvertoft (Northants); HMP Gartree in the afternoon.
Wednesday 17th - Speaking at the Anniversary Meeting of Crick URC (Northants)
Thursday 18th - Communion Service HMP Gartree; Bible Discussion at Yelvertoft

Holy Spirit - Him or Her?
My piece about "Pentecost Myths?" a few weeks ago sparked off lively correspondence by email and on Facebook.  One or two picked up that I had referred to the Holy Spirit as him or her.  Someone asked if this was political correctness.  It certainly was not; it is theological reflection.  Since writing that piece there has been reports in the news regarding suggested changes to Anglican Liturgy, which makes me grateful that I have a non-liturgical tradition.  Of course God is not human and therefore we cannot suggest that he (or she) has gender in human terms.  The Hebrew concept was certainly of God as 'Father' and that is how Jesus prayed and Romans 8:15 talks of our being able to call God "Abba".  However, God made both man and woman in his image.  The Bible also attributes to God  characteristics usually thought of as feminine. The Hebrew word for Spirit is 'Ruach' which carries feminine gender.  I understand that this true also for Aramaic, the language spoken by Jesus.  The Greek word for Spirit in the New Testament is neuter (i.e. neither masculine  nor feminine).

God is a mystery to the human mind and to try to define God or even describe God using concepts with which we are familiar will always prove inadequate.  There are a few more thoughts on one of my blogs.

Yours gladly in His service,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment