Sunday 29 June 2014

Peace At Any Price?

Over recent weeks I have touched on the issue of disagreement between Christians and the biblical pattern for correction.  On this occasion I want to address a similar issue and share some of the random thoughts that have been passing through my mind.  But I will try not to repeat things I have written before.

Part of the responsibilities I carry is as the Convenor of the Congregational Federation's Inter-Church Board.  The Board carries the shared responsibility for representing the Federation in ecumenical contexts, meeting with people from other Christian traditions, and sometimes even other faiths.  Many years ago I joined a Christian mission organisation that claimed to work with and for 'anyone who loved the Lord Jesus Christ' (a kind of qualified ecumenism).  In the context of my ministry as a prison chaplain I also interact with chaplains and prisoners of other faiths, and when it comes to Christian denominations prison cannot afford much space to indulge every shade of Christianity.

In all these situations I have never felt that I have had to compromise my personal theological views nor have I ever been asked to do anything I might be ashamed or even embarrassed about (though some might find  some things slightly strange).  What is more important I feel that I have been able to express the love of God I feel filling my heart and to stay in tune with the Lord.  I recall that when Jesus was asked what was the greatest commandment he did not respond by, for example, by stating a policy on baptism or suggest it was to do with the inerrancy of scripture.  I am not suggesting that doctrine is not important, but I am saddened when we find our attitude prevents our discovering God at work in places we might find strange.

We know that Peter struggled with the idea of entering into a gentile's home and had to quickly rethink his theological ideas when the Holy Spirit came upon the gentiles in the home of Cornelius (Acts 10).  God will not allow himself to be limited by a commitment to a creed or doctrinal statement.  I have sometimes found God's presence and power at work in places that some Christians I know would feel he should never have attended!  What this does not mean is that I have to embrace everything that others believe or practise.  It does mean that I have to ensure I have an open heart and mind and that I am ready to seek God for how he wants me to respond when i see him at work in places I might think of as 'strange'.

But it isn't just doctrinal or ecclesial differences that cause disunity.  Both Matthew 18:15-17 and 2 Corinthians 2:8-11, and 1 Timothy 5:1,2 indicate situations where there is some division because of behaviour.  In the Matthew passage we see the steps that are taken top try to resolve a problem.  In the Corinthian situation there is concern for healing and restoration, and in Timothy it is about disciple that shows love and respect.  Our unity in Christ is a precious trust from God that we are to nurture.  Where conduct has caused a problem we dare not rely on secular wisdom and processes to sort it out.  In the kingdom of God we should always do things God's way.

Managing differences God's way is not easy but is vital for it is where we dwell together in unity that God commands the blessing (Psalm 133).  One of my sad memories goes back 50 years to a country church that had two organists in the congregation.  It seemed that whichever one was not playing had a critical spirit towards the one that was playing.  Perhaps the non-player felt it was too fast or too slow.  I have no idea who was right - or if either of them was right, but I remember that you could sometimes cut the atmosphere with a knife.  That was so painful for all concerned.  Clearly there was hurt that needed a gentle spirit to enable all to be blessed.

When I was a young minister in a team situation two splendid young people who were engaged to be married came to tell me that she had become pregnant.  It was the shared 'wisdom' of the team that we had to remove them both from their positions of leadership among the youth to show that the church disapproved of pre-marital intercourse.  They were also suspended from taking any public part in services for six months.  You might feel that this was appropriate, or you may feel it to have been harsh.  But the far greater tragedy, in my opinion, was that there was no public reassurance of love and fellowship as the passage in 2 Corinthians suggests.  I deeply regret that failure to show love and oneness in Christ.  We let them down, we let the church down, and we let God down.

In the real world division and difference will happen.  The New Testament records such division within the early Christians but that does not free us from the responsibility to seek unity whenever we can.  If some separation of pathways becomes necessary then we should show the same love that Abraham showed to Lot.  He allowed Lot to have the apparently better pathway and expressed a hope that there would be no conflict between them or their respective servants (Genesis 13:8,9).

Is there a division that needs to be healed?  Are you able to take any steps to bring about that healing?  Is it possible that a lack of unity in your church or between churches might be grieving God? We do not need to paper over cracks or force others to see things the way we do.  If we open ourselves to the Spirit of Jesus we should find a unity that can accept difference.  That's not 'peace at any price'; it is peace at the price of the cross.

From the Diary

  •  I had a blessed and profitable time meeting with leaders from other rural mission organisations last Thursday.
  • The prison choir concert was fantastic - a real 'good news' event.  When I took the service in prison this morning it was still buzzing!  We also had an excellent service this morning with over 50 men attending. Please pray for M, one of the choir who has just been released.  Chaplaincy has put him in touch with a local church.
  • Last week's school assembly I talked about the Christian adventure and used the story of Gladys Aylward in summary form.  Afterwards a boy from year 6 asked to borrow the book of her life.  Please pray for W as he reads this story.
  • This evening I am taking the service at Husbands Bosworth Methodist Church and will also include a testimony by one of our young adults from Yelvertoft.  Doreen and i are also taking an older Christian lady who used to work in the National Childrens' Home in Hastings when I used to visit school friends for tea!
  • A different school assembly this Monday.  Pray for wisdom and inspiration.
  • Tuesday afternoon - back to prison and expecting even more to join the choir. 
  • Wednesday evening - CF Area staff support meeting.  Please pray for wisdom.
  • Thursday morning - Bible Discussion Meeting at Yelvertoft.
  • Saturday afternoon I am preaching at an induction service at a Leicestershire rural church.
  • Sunday - ministry at Yelvertoft
As ever, thank you for your prayers and practical support.  Why not look me up on Facebook?

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment