Saturday 8 March 2014

Dissent or Secession?

The subject of secession has been much in the news recently.  One situation is happening in Ukraine at this time as it seems like the nation is fracturing and that Crimea will secede from Ukraine with some encouragement from Vladimir Putin.  Another situation is the possible secession of Scotland from the UK.  Both situations have generated anxiety for many people.  I find myself wondering about motivation in both cases and were they to succeed I doubt that this would bring everything they hope for.  Is there, I wonder, a degree of self-interest at the expense of others?  But then I am neither Scottish or Crimean.

The Bible records occasions of separation.  The first that comes to mind is the parting of Abraham and Lot.  Many years ago I used to take services for an Independent Baptist Chapel that had a big text over the pulpit stating, "Let there be no strive between me and thee and between my herdsmen and thy herdsmen for we be brethren" (Genesis 13:8)  I often wondered what situation in that village church gave rise to such a strange choice of text.  Parting company was seen to be of mutual benefit, and Abraham was very gracious in the matter.  He was keen that parting company did not spoil their relationship.

The second situation that comes to mind is recorded in Numbers chapter 32 where the Children of Reuben and the Children of Gad apply to opt out of entering Canaan.  Their self-interest threatened to scuttle the situation for all of the tribes of Israel.  Happily they reached a workable compromise.  Verse 6 was the text of the first sermon I preached from a pulpit.  It was on a mission conducted for the Salvation Army Corps (church) at what was then Hastings North.  I was just 18 years old and preaching at the Sunday Holiness Meeting was a great honour insisted upon by the Commanding Officer, Captain Peak much to the annoyance of the team director!  I still wonder what made him so sure I should speak, and I am glad he stood his ground.

My third and final example is the division that took place within the nation of Israel just  a century after Israel had become a united monarchy under Saul.  Not long after Solomon's death the nation that had originally been a federal state split into two nations under Jereboam and Rehoboam.  Only a few generations before there had been political pressure as Israel wanted to be like others and appoint a king like other nations.  If only they could have seen the eventual outcome.  However God brought something wonderful out of it.

When I was a very young teenage Christian with more doubt than faith I was interviewed by two deacons of the Baptist Church I had been brought up in, and to which I had returned after several years of sinful conduct.  The interview was to determine whether or not I was fit to become a church member.  Knowing that honest answers might have ruled me out I had prepared a devious answer to any difficult questions that came my way: "It is hard to be articulate about things that are intangible".  What a load of rubbish!  One of the two deacons, a former minister, understandably advised against my admission to membership.  The other, a farmer, drove me home and on the way said something I have never forgotten: "Barry, never be afraid to dissent".  He had interpreted my linguistic gymnastics correctly.  He recommended that I should be admitted to membership on the grounds that the Bible states that he who is weak in the faith is not to be refused! (Romans 14:1 KJV).  His recommendation won the day.  The evening before the occasion when I was to be baptised and welcomed into the church God sorted me out and won my soul, my life, my whole.

While I have had cause to remember the words about dissent on many occasions I also hold strongly to the need to honour the essential unity of Christ's Church.  Dissent is not the same as secession.  For me it is more important to recognise myself as a Christian rather than defining myself denominationally (though I am not ashamed of my denominational preference).  It is possible to have true unity yet with diversity.  But that only works where there is respect for those that hold a differing view with conviction.  What makes us one is not our assent to certain dogma but our common experience of God's love and mercy.  That is what unity in the Spirit is about.

We may choose what earthly church we want to join but it is God who chooses us to be part of the Church Universal.  His choosing far eclipses ours.  A preacher at an inter-church event many years ago referred to a member of the congregation stating, "Mr Smith belongs to the Methodist Church."  Immediately Mr Smith spoke up, "That's wrong I belong to Jesus!"  The preacher was thrown by the interjection and added, "I meant what persuasion you were of".  But this only brought the response, "Oh, I can certainly tell you that, I am persuaded that nothing can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus!"  The preacher gave up!

If you need to dissent then by all means do so, but do it lovingly and graciously and take care that dissent never turns into secession as far as being committed to the rest of your diverse sisters and brother is concerned.

From the Diary

  • The warm response from the Salvation Army officers and other staff last Wednesday in Bolton was very encouraging.  The Central North Division had also invited folk from their neighbouring Division.  I had travelled by train following an excellent time at HMP Gartree on Tuesday.  It was well worth the journey.
  • I was still tired on Thursday morning and leaned heavily on the Lord as I took the communion service for the staff and volunteers at Torch Trust for the Blind first thing.  God was gracious and the meeting seemed to overflow with his presence.  Songs, stories and passages of scripture came together into one message on the extravagant generosity of our God.  From there Doreemn and I travelled to Yelvertoft for the first of our Lenten meetings.  More sweet fellowship!
  • This Sunday, 9th March I am leading and speaking at Yelvertoft Congregational Church and in the evening doing the same for Newton URC near Rugby.
  • On Monday I fly to Scotland to teach on the Salvation Army's Safe and Sound programme for officers and other leaders north of the border on Tuesday, flying back home on Wednesday in time for Thursday's Lenten meeting at Yelvertoft.
  • On Friday and Saturday I will be in Leeds for the Churches Together in England Enabling Group where I shall be representing the Congregational Federation.
  • On Sunday 16th March in the morning I will be at Yelvertoft as usual and in the evening I am the guest speaker at an Anniversary Service for a church in Stockingford, Nuneaton.
Please pray for safe travelling and that I will stay fresh physically and spiritually and thus able to do all I should.  Please pray that Doreen will be safe and free from injury while I am away for a few days.

Thank you,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment