Sunday 22 September 2013

Making a Decision

This as been a frustrating week. The problems began when I downloaded some software on the internet. The website offered some additional programmes and I must have inadvertently ticked a box I had not intended.  The next thing was to discover that my internet search engines had been hijacked. It proved difficult to restore my settings, so I downloaded another programme to help me.  The first attempt merely restored the problem once again. A second attempt was working well (I think) but an interruption led to several important files disappearing along with the ability to search the drives on my computer!

My thoughts as I pondered this week's news took me to a well known verse of scripture from Joshua 24:15 "As for me and my household we will serve the Lord".

A colleague in the Salvation Army has recently completed some research on how many denominations use 'Altar Calls'. For any unfamiliar with this term it refers to the practise of encouraging people to make an immediate response to the message of the gospel. It seems that few now regularly do so. Indeed some traditions that you would expect to be more forthright in their preaching of the gospel more commonly provide invitations for people with physical needs to come forward for prayer for healing than hey invite people to welcome Christ into their lives.

I have calculated that, over the years I must have followed the preaching of an evangelistic message by giving an invitation and opportunity for people to respond to the gospel somewhere between 1000 and 2000 times. Usually this was done very discreetly. Many hundreds will have responded and given their lives to the Lord. Evangelism has three stages.  The first is engagement, or finding the right and appropriate opportunity to share the message of the gospel. The second is sharing the story, and this could take various forms. The third stage is providing an appropriate and sensitive way of encouraging a response. Jesus did not hold back from encouraging people to respond to his ministry.  The early Christians also provided a challenge to respond to their message. Today in the UK there is an abundance of sharing the gospel message but often there will be no challenge to respond.

When calling certain men to become his disciples Jesus told them that they would become 'fishers of men'. These men we're used to catching fish, not just influencing them. 

I remember a national meeting of evangelists back around the late 60s. Already it seemed that traditional patterns of evangelism might be waning. One well known evangelist commented that he felt that the greatest skill that comes with the gift of an evangelist is the ability to know how to draw in the met. I think he may well be right.  Over the years it has been my privilege to train others in evangelism and that has included passing on best practise in providing that challenge. While there are many ways in which the challenge can be given, it basically has two elements. The first is to ask is a person would like to turn to Jesus and invite him into their life. The second is to ask if they would like to do it now.

Once when we were conducting an evangelistic mission for an urban Anglican church I encouraged the local vicar to make the 'altar call' at the end of the final service. Although he was a conservative evangelical he had never given such an invitation in his life. He had listened to me on several occasions. Nervously, he invited anyone in the congregation wanting to commit their lives to God to make their way to the front during the singing of the closing hymn. He then turned his back on the congregation and knelt in prayer. As we sang I watched as steadily people responded to his gentle invitation. When he arose and turned round the look of surprise and joy on his face was wonderful. For years he had preached the gospel like a man going fishing without a net!

Why had he been nervous? It was fear of failure. Some people have their own theological reasons for not wanting to give an invitation. I cannot agree with them, though I understand their concern. Conviction and conversion are the work of the Holy Spirit. Trying to manipulate emotions, conducting an altar call like an auctioneer trying to squeeze out one more bid, or using scare tactics are among inappropriate ways of making an invitation. But a simple challenge, such as Joshua made, might be just what someone needs to help them take that step of faith.  We can do it from the platform or in one to one conversations, but let's do it, and have confidence in God.

From the Diary 22-29 September 2013
For your prayers this week please follow our activities each day. Every day will bring opportunity to share the story and provide an invitation.

This Sunday, 22nd is Harvest Thanksgiving at Yelvertoft and we have Charles Smith the CEO of Farming Community Network (formerly Farm Crisis network) as our speaker, and we will give produce to our local foodbank.

On Monday I will be sharing in a rural round table for Fresh Expressions in London.
On Tuesday I am joining our General Secretary of the Congregational Federation meeting some Christian leaders from Ireland.

On Thursday I will be doing some pastoral visits and leading our Bible Discussion Meeting.

On the evening of Friday 28th and though Saturday 29th I will be taking part in Mission Committee meetings in Nottingham.

On Sunday 29th I will be taking the service at HMP Gartner on Leicestershire.

Thank you very sincerely for your interest and prayer.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment