Sunday 2 June 2013

Taking time to listen

Possibly the worst character trait that I have is jumping in when someone else is speaking.  Sometimes it happens if the person talking seems to be rambling.  But that's not the only occasion.  I am better at listening to someone with a speech impediment such as a stammer, and only interject if they signal they want my help. I'm not exactly sure what the cause of my bad habit is but whatever the reason there is no justification.  It would be my own fault if the other person felt that my bad habit was a sign that I didn't really care enough to listen.  I do care.

Having someone give time to listen to us is something we all appreciate.  Whether it's a child telling you a joke you have heard many times before, or a person rehearsing their medical symptoms, or someone trying to explain  how something works that we might think is not particularly relevant - the person doing the talking is seeking someone to listen.  When a person finds that no one wants to listen it can cause their personality to become closed.  Sadly, an aspect of our modern life seems to be all too few who will truly listen.  Listening is a skill.  If we are honest we know that all too often we stop listening at some point and start to think what we will say when we can get a word in edgeways.

Doesn't it thrill you that we have a listening God?  We can pour out our troubles.  We can talk about our delights.  We can explain our problems.  We can moan about anything.  And he will listen.  Even though he has the wisdom to know just what to say in response, he listens faithfully.  But he also longs that after we have finished speaking we would take time to listen to what he has to say.  That might come through scripture or simply a quiet conviction in our heart.  Sometimes he may remain silent but that won't be because he hasn't been listening.

Among other things we are celebrating this year is the Queen's coronation 60 years ago.  I spent that occasion in hospital having my tonsils and adenoids removed.  It was a rough time for me and I was in hospital for two weeks.  To make up for what we missed all the children on the ward were given a gift and mine was an autograph book.  I got it signed by my surgeon and some of the nurses.  I also asked the pastor from my church to sign it too when he visited.  He wrote "Whenever you are in a fix, look up Philippians 4 verse 6.".  Perhaps you know that verse: don't worry about anything, but pray about everything.

Let's give thanks for a listening God.  But let's be polite in response and listen carefully to him as well.

Items for praise and prayer
On Sunday I am taking the morning meeting at Yelvertoft where I plan to speak on "Who do you say that I am?"

On Monday we have our Sunrise Ministries trustees meeting in London.  Please give thanks for our trustees and the two management teams that provide oversight and support for our ministry at both mission centres.  Pray for wisdom in the meeting on Monday.  Thank you for your prayers as I have prepared for this.

On Tuesday I will be at HMP Gartree.  The men are encouraged that we have an opportunity to perform the songs we have practised for the benefit of some visitors from outside prison and some other residents.  The members of the choir love to be of service.

Give thanks for the response to the piece I wrote a few weeks ago about the need for churches to be well informed about the causes of sexual abuse, how to guard against them and how to provide appropriate pastoral care to support those who have been victims.  Often they have a need of a good listener.  Several copies of the book Time for Action were ordered.  More are available for £7.95 post free if you haven't received one.

It will be a busy weekend.  On Friday and Saturday there is an event at Nottingham I will attend as the line manager for two part time mission workers in the East Midlands Area of the Congregational Federation.  On the Friday evening the Area Executive Meeting is in Leicester.

Please give thanks for the Lord's provision for the ministry.  Earlier this year we received donations through a Christian stewardship organisation.  We do not know who sent them but we are very grateful. Please also pray that our needs will continue to be met.

Finally, most of the work in which I have been involved helping Action for Christ has been completed apart from two important legal items.  Please pray that all will be completed in good time to enable me to resume my research degree.

Don't forget that seven prayerless days makes one weak.  God says, “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”  Jer. 33:3

Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment