Saturday 13 April 2013

Being Specific in Prayer

On behalf of my colleagues within Action for Christ I would like to say a big thank you for your prayers for us during the past week.  We now have much for which to be thankful.  But before more about that I wanted to share with you my conviction that we often miss out because we fail to be specific when we pray.

Do you find yourself simply praying "Lord, bless...."?  I imagine God scratching his head and wondering what exactly do you want him to do!  It might be a spiritual, physical, financial or indeed any kind of blessing.  There are so many different kinds!  Of course, you could claim to be praying in a way that allows God to act sovereignly.  After all he knows the person or activity you are praying for, so you don't need to be specific.  But if you follow that logic through you might as well never pray.

As an encouragement to be more specific in prayer I would like to share a personal testimony, with apologies to those who have heard or read it before.  Many years ago when I was just a teenager I was privileged to become a full time evangelist, but had to trust God to meet most of my needs as the organisation in which I worked could only pay a very nominal subsistence allowance.  I had one suit.  It was blue, didn't hold the creases in the trousers, and attracted bits of cotton and other items that showed up badly.  I needed something different.

As I prayed privately about this I asked the Lord if he would supply a nice smart clerical grey suit.  About a week just such a suit turned up but it was being worn by Alfred, a fellow evangelist living by faith.  How cross I was about this.  "It was me Lord who asked.  How come Alf has got my answer to prayer!" (Of course it is very probable that Alf had a need and was also praying for a suit, but I was feeling sorry for myself).  A few weeks later I was in  Wales, staying in the home of a Christian couple, when the lady's brother arrived on his way to the airport.  He told me that he was going on holiday and that as he was packing his bags he came across a suit he hadn't worn for a long time and no longer fitted him.  It was also hardly worn and in mint condition.  He went on to explain that as he wondered what he should do with it, my face came into his mind.

"I don't want to embarrass you," he said, "But would you accept a gift of this suit?".  I couldn't help myself and immediately enquired about the colour, and ...... you've guessed it.  It was grey and it fitted me perfectly.  Sometimes we have to keep praying and wait on God patiently.

Buoyed up by this experience of praying specifically, when that suit started to look worn out I prayed again for a suit.  This time I wanted a striped navy suit.  I remember how I prayed.  "Lord, you know the pattern that is in my mind.  Please would you supply a navy suit with just that pattern.  But, Lord, I will accept whatever you want to provide".  I'm not sure whether the last part was me being spiritual about God's will or whether I was giving God a get out.  What I do remember was that as I got off my knees I groaned, "That's done it.  You know he has a sense of humour.  You'll end up having to wear a pink suit!  But just a week or so later I received two separate gifts.  Each one was a suit.  I could have worn the jacket of one with the trousers of the other and no one could have noticed.  Both were navy with stripes!

It was great to get phone messages, texts, and emails this week assuring me of specific prayers for our meeting with people from the Charity Commission on Wednesday.  Some of the messages even arrived during the day.  My fellow trustees, our administrator and I met with three representatives from the Charity Commission.  This important inspection was the result of illegal activities by John Coltman, a former trustee.  Gradually it seemed that the folk from the Commission began to understand how John had managed to obscure important information from the trustees.  They ploughed through files of minutes, accounts and much more.  Finally they confirmed that they could see that the governance of the charity since John's departure was good, and we parted on good terms.

The trustees now have a clearer understanding of how to address several problems.  This will involve hard work and the need for continuing wisdom.  Please also pray for the Commission staff that are dealing with these problems with us as some of the situations left behind by John are complex.  Please pray also for John that he will start trying to put things right.  He took around £26,500 unlawfully from the charity and left us in a precarious position.

On Thursday we were able to adjust our use of time as the Commission enquiry did not need a second day as had been expected.  I used the time to call in on Monica as she set off for ministry in Malawi and Kenya.  I also visited some good Christian friends in East Sussex.  Elizabeth Ingram and I had another important business meeting which we were able to bring forward from Friday.  It was time well spent.  Later that evening I managed to get some personal time and called in on relatives in Hastings.

On Friday morning Elizabeth and I met with a Christian solicitor in Eastbourne who has offered to help us find our way through the tangle of complications left by John.  Bit by bit the way is beginning to become clearer.  We are so thankful for the help we are receiving at last.  On the way home from Eastbourne I received a text message from Philip Stainer, a friend and former member of staff of Mission for Christ (this is the former name of the charity).  He was with his son in south London.  Sam is an audio-visual engineer who has done some good Christian work in this field.  Some of the now surplus equipment from action for Christ was at our church in Dunks Green, near Tonbridge.  A quick couple of phone calls and the church leader met us at the chapel, so enabling me to pass over some of the equipment and ensure its continued usefulness in the Lord's work.

Today I typed up my summary of the various meetings and a schedule of over twenty activities that are now required as we seek to resolve the various situations.  Some actions also took place today but it will be a busy week ahead.  While I was at the offices in Bodiam, East Sussex I was encouraged to hear of some donations received, but there is a need for specific prayer on that topic too so that we can keep the ministry there active while we resolve the legal difficulties.  As things are right now the trustees are having to pay all their own expenses, but who knows what God might do as we pray specifically!

And what do you need prayer for?  Do feel free to inform us of your specific needs and concerns so that we can pray for you.

From this week's diary
Sunday 14th - Yelvertoft Congregational Church followed by a Blessing of Marriage service at Hothorpe Hall Conference Centre.

Tuesday 16th - School Assembly planning meeting in Yelvertoft when we will set out the themes for the term ahead.  In the afternoon I will be working in the prison as usual.  Please pray for 'T' who we have missed from the choir for two weeks following an external incident that cast a shadow over our activities.

May the Lord bless you.

Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment