Sunday 16 December 2012

Pre-Christmas Praise and Prayer News

I'll keep this weeks Praise and Prayer News to a minimum.  If you are a regular prayer partner then you will receive our annual summary of activities in the post soon.  Doreen and I have spent today printing it and getting the post ready.  Hence this blog is being written early on Sunday.

Last Sunday, after our morning meeting at Yelvertoft, Doreen and I went to Gartree Prison for the Annual Carol Service.  It was great to see the Faith Centre packed with prisoners and approved visitors from outside.  I don't think there was an empty seat and extra chairs had been brought in.  On these occasions we are joined by the band and songsters from Kettering Salvation Army.  Our Male Voice Choir sang "Holy Child, how still you lie" and we received many kind words of encouragement afterwards.  A couple from the SA said that this was the highlight for them.  My colleague, Jeanne, had written a special witty drama for the occasion and the senior chaplain gave a marvellous talk.

Please pray for those in prison as this is usually a bad time for them.  Pray too that the gospel message shared at Christmas services will find a resting place in their hearts.  I'm back at Gartree on Tuesday, and taking the morning service on 30th December.

I took the Senior Circle's Christmas Service in the village on Wednesday and will be taking the morning meeting this Sunday (16th).  I incorrectly wrote that we were holding our Christmas Warmer (a user friendly event) this Sunday but it will be next Sunday (23rd).  Somehow I lost a week!  Please pray that there will be people beyond the regular life of the village churches attending that meeting.

It was a pleasure to meet with Jerry Marshall the new Director of the Arthur Rank Centre during the week.  It has always been a privilege to work with the ARC and i commend Jerry to your prayers as he takes up the reins from Gordon Gatward who has now retired.

While Christmas does bring some extra activity into the diary, it actually means that overall my pace of life slows down.  Doreen and I take a break at this time of year.  Apart from the Sunday ministry at Yelvertoft I will be taking a school assembly at Lubenham on Monday (also being Father Christmas on Wednesday), and going to prison on Tuesday.  Otherwise we start the annual office tidy up!

Thank you for your prayers.  I pray that this Christmas will bring home just how amazing is the love of God, and the gift of a Saviour that it has brought.

Yours sincerely in Christ

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment