Sunday 4 November 2012

The Power of Prayer


In the past two of these newsletters I have asked questions about how we pray.  I have done this because I believe that for many of us our times of prayer are superficial.  The Bible is full of examples about the power of prayer.  Let me share just three New Testament passages that stand out to me.  The first of these is the account of Peter’s imprisonment in Acts 12.  Luke tells us in detail of the impossible situation in which Peter was securely held in prison.  Then comes a “but”.  But prayer was made without ceasing by the church for him. The result?  Chains fell off and Peter walked out free.
Here’s another.  James tells us in chapter 5 that the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.  The illustration here is of Elijah, head tucked between his knees, as he seeks God to send rain.  What happens?  A deluge of rain.
My third reference (there are so many) is of a man called Epaphras.  We read about him in Paul’s letter to the Colossians, where we are told that he was “always wrestling in prayer” for blessing on the believers at Colosse.  All three references have a sense of earnest prayer that lasts for more than a few moments.
Somewhere in the back of my mind there is a line that goes, “We often say our prayers, but do we really pray?”  I feel that if the Christians concerned for the proclamation of the gospel in rural areas were really praying, we would see a revival. James also writes, “You do not have because you do not ask God”.  I certainly pray a great deal but I sometimes wonder if I am praying in the right way.  I want to see a revival in rural Britain before my life comes to an end.

Thank you for your prayers

Thank you for your prayers during the past week.  There have been some very real encouragements as I have sought to open up God’s word in various situations.  There have also been times of challenge, frustration and disappointment.

Key Points for prayer this week

Before I list various items for which I would very much appreciate your earnest prayers that in each situation God will be glorified, I want to ask you to take time over these.  Perhaps you could read through the list and then be still with God for a time and seek the help of the Holy Spirit as to how you should pray.  You may want to spread the items over several days of the week, but note that some activities this week are on specific days.
Please pray as with fellow trustees of Action for Christ I continue seeking to help this mission organisation through difficulties it has encountered. This is the new name of the mission in which I spent my first 25 years of ministry. 
Please pray as Mick Sawyer, Anna Lachowski and I review the applications for the position of Children and Families Worker for the East Midlands Area of the Congregational Federation on Tuesday.
Please pray for my ministry at Yelvertoft this Sunday (Harvest thanksgiving) and next Sunday (joint service for Remembrance Sunday).  I am so encouraged by everyone at Yelvertoft and by what has recently been achieved in alterations to our premises.  We are looking to expand certain areas of ministry very soon.
Please pray for a meeting with our solicitors in Cambridge on Friday as we revise our mission constitution.  After this I will be travelling to Yorkshire to meet with Christians running a rural project.
Please give thanks for the financial support that has come in and pray that the Lord will raise up the remainder of the Mission Link Partners needed to sustain our rural ministry.  We are not looking for vast sums but do need folk to sign up to give regular monthly or quarterly small donations.  These are tough times for many Christian organisations, and rural mission in the UK tends to be low on the list of concern for many.
Please pray for the trustees of Sunrise Ministries as they meet on Monday 12th in London.  It is this team that are ultimately responsible both for my ministry and that of my colleague Monica Cook.
Please pray for those seeking to support rural evangelism in Germany, having translated some of my writing to help the rural Lutheran churches there.
Please pray for my visit to Ireland on 14-17 November.  I am going at the invitation of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland but I am seeking to add some other strategic meetings with those responsible for rural evangelism both sides of the border.  Please pray that the Lord will guide me to the right contacts.  Please pray for Peter Norton who has been assisting with this.  Peter is an Anglican clergyman for whom I shared in a mission in Cumbria many years ago.
Please pray for the work of the Rural Evangelism Network as we lay plans for our 2013 conference.  This was a very helpful network in the past and it is my hope that it will prove even more helpful in the future.  On 22nd November, Capt. Gordon Banks and I will be heading up a rural mission consultation in Cornwall and we have a few empty places.  Please pray that God will draw in the right people.
Please pray for the Baptist Union of Wales with whom I will also be working in 2013.  They are planning an event and have asked me to speak at this.
Please pray as we begin taking bookings for the International Congregational Fellowship Conference in the UK in the summer of 2013.  I have to prepare publicity and organise the online booking system.
Finally, I ask for your prayers as November will be very busy.  Pray for my physical and spiritual health, and that I will be able to set aside times of rest between engagements.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment