Sunday 21 October 2012

Recording the second coming?

"So you also must be readybecause the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."  Matthew 24:44

It is rapidly moving towards midnight on Saturday 20th October and I have not long been in after a very busy day marking the 350th anniversary of the church where I am minister.  This morning we had an encouraging number of people visit our exhibition and enjoy food and drink.  This evening we had an excellent  concert led by the Yelvertoft Ladies Choir, and a brilliant young oboe player.  It would have been good to have seen a few more this evening but, of course, we were competing with the enticing Strictly Come Dancing on TV.

Clearly those who attended the concert, and who are fans of 'Strictly' could have left equipment at home set to record the programme, and then watched it on returning home. That way they would not miss the programme.  On the other hand if they had chosen to stay at home and watch TV they would have missed a superb concert.  So it is clear what should be the priority.

It's great that for many of us recording a favourite TV programme is so much simpler.  No need for tapes in cassettes.  A few touches on buttons and we can record onto a hard drive or, perhaps just watch it later on iplayer or similar.  

But there are some events that need to be personally unmissable as you wont be able to record and play it back, and you certainly won't want to miss out.  The second coming of Jesus Christ is one such unmissable event.  When I was a new Christian an older Christian told me that I should live as if Jesus had died only yesterday, had risen this morning, and was coming back tomorrow.  Not bad advice!

Back in the 1960's I had the privilege of hearing the late Dr. Herbert Lockyer speak on "The Next Great World Event".  A poem he recited that day stuck in my mind and I am able to recite it today as I believe I heard it nearly 50 years ago:

There’s a man in yonder glory I have loved for many years, 
He has cleared my guilty conscience and has banished all my fears.
He is coming in a moment in the twinkling of an eye, 
And no time will be allotted for you to utter one good-bye. 
No time to kiss the husband or embrace the loving wife, 
If they are united in the bonds of holy life. 
Are you ready, Christian, ready, for the trump and shout of voice? 
Will His coming make you tremble or cause you to rejoice? 
Are you walking with Him daily, making Him your care?
Do you live so close to heaven that a breath would waft you there?

(Internet versions vary slightly)

Some events just have to be prioritised!

As always, thanks for your prayers during the past week.  Here is a summary:

The theme the Lord put on my heart for Sunday morning about rest and trust in times of stress proved very appropriate for many in the congregation, though I had no knowledge of this beforehand.  In the evening Doreen and I went to Newton URC, near Rugby.   Again the ministry was appreciated.

Monday morning found me setting of to the Conference Centre at High Leigh, Hoddesden, Herts.  I was there for a 24 hour gathering of the Churches Group for Evangelization.  It was a valuable time meeting with those responsible for evangelism across the main UK Churches.  I also benefited from a precious time of prayer after sharing with my friends some current heavy burdens.

Among these very special prayers was one by a Catholic friend who prayed that God would cause his saints and angels to walk alongside me through the coming days.  It wasn't quite my theology but I went to bed reflecting on Hebrews 12:1, and realising I still have much to learn.  That prayer was both powerful and effective.

I left High Leigh mid-morning on Tuesday in order to get back for the choir practice in Gartree Prison (see below).

There was more ministry on Thursday as I led the Bible Discussion Group as we dipped into 1Corinthians chapter 6, where Paul addresses the issue of freedom in Christ; things that are not banned are not always appropriate or even right.

The remainder of the week was largely spent getting ready for our 350th anniversary.  This included printing quantities of a booklet written in the past about non-conformist life in the village since 1662.  I also assisted one of our congregation in writing his record of the village chapel since he was a lad.  Rob is able to trace his family connection with the chapel over more than 300 years!

Cllr Alan Chantler tries out the new ramp
We have also been keen to see some building work completed at the chapel in Yelvertoft.  We have a good team from the congregation but the builders seemed to have left too much to do at the last moment.  However, all the basics were completed in time after the builders worked late into the evening.  We now have wheelchair access from the road right through to the church and within the church.  This is a real step forward for our small rural congregation.
A local District Councillor and Christian friend cut the ribbon and tried out access from his electric wheelchair.

Tomorrow (Sunday) we continue our anniversary celebrations with ministry from my good friend, Dr Janet Wootton.

Upcoming Activities:
Tuesday 23 - 10.30 School Assembly in Yelvertoft; 13.30 HMP Gartree
Wednesday 24th - 11.00 Churches Rural Group (which I chair) at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire; 17.30 Prison Choir Concert, Gartree, Leics.
Sunday 28th - Family Service, Goodwood Evangelical Church, Leicester.

Do you need hymn books?
I have a quantity of the earlier version of Mission Praise (up to number 798) from Action for Christ.  Please let me know if these would be an answer to prayer for you.

Talking of answers to prayer I would be grateful if you would drop me a line and tell me about your latest definite answer to prayer.  Please try to put a date against it.

Finally please keep praying as, with others, i seek to find the right person to take up the ministry of Children and Families Worker in the East Midlands.

Yours sincerely in Christ,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment