Friday 9 March 2012

God Always Knows Best

An invitation to pray at the end of a nephew's wedding this Saturday brought to remembrance a story.  Some time ago, when motor cars were a new invention and still quite rare, a motorist driving a Model T Ford (the first "mass produced" car) in the USA became stranded many miles from help.  The engine had stalled and try as he might he could not get it going again.  After a long time of tinkering under the bonnet he was relieved to see another Model T car coming towards him.

The driver of the second car stopped and enquired if he could help.  Exasperated, the man explained how long he had been tinkering with no result but told the other driver he could have a go if he wished.

The second man made a few adjustments and invited the driver to crank the handle (No starter motors in those days).  Immediately the engine roared into life. The drivers got into their respective cars and began to drive in opposite directions.  The first driver called across once more his thanks to his rescuer and asked his name.  "Henry Ford", came the reply!

Often we struggle with situations and get frustrated when we can't work things out.  We might even give up in despair.  But the Designer is only a prayer away and it is amazing what can happen when we invite him to sort things out.  I hope that my nephew and his wife will remember that, but it was good to be reminded myself.

On the subject of stories I had to take a primary school assembly on the set theme of sacrifice this week.  At first I thought I would tell them the story of Albert and Albrecht Durer and the painting of what is commonly called Praying Hands.  While preparing I had a strong conviction that I should use instead a story that I had only used in an adult context.  I settled the children down with the joke about the pig and chicken (if you don't know it ask me) and then told the story.  You could have heard a pin drop.  Afterwards the head thanked me and said how effective it had been to teach such a difficult concept to young children.  At times like that I know why Jesus used story as a teaching form.

In other news, I completed the work I have been doing for Germany, adding a couple of tweaks.  I responded to consultation enquiries from the south west and Wales, and had further communication from Ireland where my writing on rural evangelism is increasingly used.  We are considering an autumn conference or consultation in Ireland.  Previously my only visit to Ireland was a coach trip.  It's a different situation with church culture I believe but I am delighted at the prospect of serving churches and their leaders there.

I have also accepted an invitation to speak on rural evangelism at a conference of the Soldiers' and  Airmen's Scripture Readers Association later this year.  A former colleague and good friend, Alf Lavender, was converted through the work of SASRA in Singapore so I feel that this is a special privilege.

My university study has moved forward with some encouragement, and I had a helpful supervision session using Skype.  The main issue for your prayers is that I will plan time management well as I have to engage with literature related to my topic.  There is not a great deal on rural evangelism but a lot of related material I have to work through and produce a survey and critique.

We held a Bible Discussion meeting in the village of Yelvertoft last Thursday morning as part of Lent.  We explored the account of the wedding at Cana.  We used several different methods of investigating this story and I was amazed at the wealth of insight that came forth from all the members of the group.  There were eleven of us and we had two away because of illness, which is an encouraging number in a small village.  There would be some churches where getting excited about a Bible study attended by eleven people would seem strange, but if you come from a village church you will understand.  Hastings, where I lived at one time, is 70 times the size of Yelvertoft but I doubt that the churches there gather 770 people to a mid-week Bible study!

Finally, talking about proportionality, I was invited to attend a European Leadership Conference recently but could not see any aspect of the programme that was relevant for leaders of small and rural churches. The image of 'successful leadership' is all about numerical growth and large congregations.  Yet there are thousands of rural churches across Europe for whom this programme would be irrelevant.  I have raised this with the organisers but not had a reply so far.

Items for praise and prayer
  • Please continue to pray that God will raise up people to catch the vision for rural missional churches running self-sustainable programmes that use all those who are part of the local church.  From among these we look for those who will help us, build on what we have done, and carry the work forward.
  • Give thanks for those who have indicated a willingness to join our team of trustees for Sunrise Ministries.
  • Give thanks for those booking in to attend the Church Leaders Conference (Congregational Federation) that I have helped to put together.  I would love to see another twenty applications.
  • Please pray for my brother-in-law, Paul who has been preparing for a ministry visit to Sierra Leone.  Plans for this event have become a little confused.  Please pray that in the midst of this Paul will know what he should speak about, and that he will be greatly used by the Lord.
  • On this Sunday I have a ministry-free day.
  • On Monday I will be attending a rural round table meeting run by Fresh Expressions.
  • My work at the prison is a little under pressure.  We have three weeks before the concert and a great deal of hard practising to do.  A good concert has a beneficial effect for the prisoners so we aim at perfection and right now are about 40% there!  We only get one 45 minute practice a week.
  • There are some planning meetings also on Tuesday I shall attend.
  • On Tuesday evening I have an engagement to talk and sing at Market Harborough Congregational Church.
  • Next Saturday I will be at Winchester University.  All the research students have had to write more information about their research project.  Most of my group are not doing religious studies but it has been interesting to read the reaction to what I have written about the gospel and evangelism.  Please pray that I will be sensitive to what God is doing in the lives of fellow students.
By now you have information overload, so I will close with my usual request that through your prayers you continue to uphold me and those who work with me.  May all we do be the overflowing of our relationship with God.  May we be faithful in everything and fruitful for his glory.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment