Sunday 18 September 2011

Stop struggling ... just sit still

I returned yesterday evening from a day spent in Nottingham for the Christian Ministries Committee of the Congregational Federation.  It is not a body on which I normally sit, but I was deputising for our Area representative on this occasion.  Since I was attending I was asked also to deputise for the Chair of the Pastoral care Board (on which I do sit).  It was an interesting day including encouraging news of what is happening among our work with children and teenagers.

This was one of the occasions when my mind is a blank when it comes to preparing for Sunday and I was tired this Saturday evening.  Sometimes I have a conviction well in advance, and sometimes it comes later in the week, but usually I have a sense of what the Lord wants me to speak about.  Long ago I prayed that God would keep me from 'sermonising' - just speaking for the sake of it, even if the content is good.  What matters to me is that we come together to meet with God and need to hear what he has to say.

Of course, I cannot guarantee that I always get it right or that I make a good job of communicating God's heart for his people, but it remains my aim.  Lacking any clear guidance I looked up the lectionary readings and was intrigued to find the theme was on how God's values often surprise us.  The OT reading is the story of Jonah and the NT reading the parable of the workers who all received the same pay regardless of how many hours they worked.  When I woke this morning, Doreen shared with me a song that had been on her heart in the night.  It was "To be in your presence...".

Was it a subconscious influence or the prompting of the Holy Spirit that then took me to a beautiful hymn I have only found in the old Redemption Hymnal.  The first verse goes, "Dwelling in the Secret Place, Overshadowed by his grace, Looking up into his face, Seeing only Jesus.".   In my mind I could see Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus, and in the background Martha frantically trying to offer Jesus the best hospitality.  I wonder how often we miss drinking in from the generosity of God because of our desire to serve him.  Jonah groused because he failed to understand the heart of God, and felt that God should deal harshly with his enemies.  Some of the workers complained, not because they were not well paid, but because the owner paid everyone the same.  Martha was not doing anything wrong, it was just that he desire to serve obscured the need to sit and listen.  It all seems to be about finding the heart of God that so often surprises us.

Prayers & Praise
Give thanks for a lovely time in Gartree Prison both on Sunday morning and again at the Choir practise on Tuesday.  Did you pray about the behaviour of 'C'?  This week not only was he not a nuisance, he was actually helpful!  I managed to get some more important reading and writing done, and a task i have to do for the university became clearer.  Sunday at Yelvertoft also brought encouragement and it was great to make a start on a Bible study series in the week.  Thank you for your prayers.

Sunday 18th - Yelvertoft Congregational Church
Tuesday 20th - School Assembly at Yelvertoft and Gartree Prison
Thursday 22nd - Country Way Editorial Group Meeting, Stoneleigh, Warwicks.
Saturday 24th - Mission and Society Committee, Nottingham

I have been asked to provide some material and teaching on Friendship Evangelism during October and will be meeting in the week with the Minister of the church to discuss this.  I want to tailor this to the local situation and value your prayers.  I am also preparing for a conference I will be speaking at in November on discipleship in rural churches. As I prepare I want to be guided by the Holy Spirit and not just grab hold of 'good' material previously used.

I met with 'M' who recently had a mastectomy about which you prayed.  We spent 45 minutes rejoicing together over God's blessings.  Alison (recovering after the removal of a brain tumour) and her husband Stephen still need your prayers.  An infection in the operation wound is causing problems.

Thank you for your fellowship in prayer.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment