Friday 17 June 2011

Praise and Prayer

Hi,

Thanks for checking this post.  We have items for praise and some for prayer.  Join in our thanksgiving please and uphold me in your prayers.

Last Sunday we had a treat when four people from South Africa walked into the meeting at Yelvertoft.  They were on holiday on the Grand Union Canal and arrived about five minutes after we had made a start.  It was, of course, Pentecost and the whole meeting was designed to encourage people to seek the foulness of God's blessing.  Our meetings are interactive and I encouraged our visitors to make themselves at home.  Once they had got used to the way I lead Bible study and allow interruptions one of them gave an excellent illustration of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  Even with four people missing we were still 19 - not bad for a chapel in a small village.  What especially encouraged me was the way our visitors (Methodists) vocalised their appreciation for the warmth they found and the biblical ministry.

On Tuesday I had to miss the Churches Group for Evangelization meeting in London as the visit to prison this week was very important.  We had a really good practice time and fellowship afterwards.

On Wednesday the interview in London with Church Times lasted about an hour.  It was encouraging to find how the journalist had been impressed by the content of the document I helped to write.  It will be officially launched at General Synod on 11th July but already has the support of the House of Bishops.  This is very important.

Much of the week has been spent preparing for the assessed presentation I have to give on Saturday (tomorrow).  I am travelling to Hampshire later today and will stay at the farmhouse B&B run by Christians not far from Winchester.  That way I can be confident of getting into University before 9.00am.  The morning is a symposium and there will be several presentations (including mine) in the afternoon.

I travel back home Saturday evening ready for Sunday morning when I am taking a Fathers Day Family Service at Goodwood Evangelical Church, Leicester.  Because of the Uni work I was finding it hard to prepare for this meeting but creative ideas came together this morning.  This has given me peace to go away for the next few days, confident in the Holy Spirit's guidance.  God is good!  Please pray for Gordon Temple who will be at Yelvertoft.

On both Monday and Tuesday I have school assemblies to take.

On Tuesday afternoon I will be back in prison with the choir getting a final rehearsal for the concert on Wednesday late afternoon.  We get a number of folk from outside (e.g. prison visitors) and a number of men from inside.  Please pray for a good attendance and that all goes well.  The programme of seven songs, a musical composition and a drama includes "God of all glory" and "Before the throne of God above" and a couple of semi-religious songs.  Pray for a real anointing as we sing.

On Friday I am the guest singer in a concert by the Yelvertoft Ladies Choir.  I plan to sing three songs the last of which will be "Were you there" which I will sing a capello.  Again, please pray that the Holy Spirit will use this song to move hearts towards the Lord.  I don't just want to entertain!

On Saturday I have "meeting with Sue" in my diary but have no idea which Sue or what it is about!  It could be an error but if not please pray that I will either remember or Sue will contact me!

Which brings us round to Sunday once again when I shall be at Yelvertoft where we shall be thinking about the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

If have recommenced using Twitter but only to give brief prayer nudges.  If you want to follow me the address if you tweet is @ruralbarry.

What has God been saying to you recently?  Please email me and let me know.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment