Sunday 8 May 2011

Back from a break

It's Sunday evening and Doreen and I have just travelled back home from Portsmouth.  We discovered that the B&B at Whitchurch we had booked several weeks ago turned out to be a Christian family.  They run a dairy farm with 120 cows.  I am a keen advocate for Farm Stay UK.

Lots of interesting photos to be added a.s.a.p.

This morning we attended a church meeting in Portsmouth and was immediately transported back to Africa by the worship.  Many Ugandans and other folk from Africa in the congregation.  We were given a good welcome.  Not exactly my preferred style of worship but I would prefer exuberant (and it was very) to lifeless any day.

We joined members of Doreen's family for our sister-in-law's 80th birthday lunch in Fort Nelson.  Very nice meal but exceeded by the company!  Great to meet up again - and not at a funeral.

Saturday I was in Winchester University for a session on Research Training.  I seem to be doing reasonably well but I am eager to press ahead with this aspect of ministry (I'm researching rural evangelism in order to produce something that has some academic rigour on the topic).  I plan to dedicate mornings to this programme, and where possible restrict other activities to afternoons and evenings.  We'll see how well that might work out.

I have added a posting to my "Reflections" blog.  It seemed that some might like to read my monthly magazine piece that goes into the Yelvertoft Parish magazine.  Comments are always welcome.  Incidentally I know that many more read this blog each week that have signed on as followers.  It would be great if you would sign on as a follower.  Click the link above.

We came back to a pile of post on the doormat including a super encouraging letter from the person who got a pilot copy of the second CD of Treasured Gospel Songs.  Knowing how God is still using these great songs to bless people is exciting.  It is intriguing to find fans of this style among people more used to modern gospel songs.  Obviously it is retro.  One young Christian friend called the song on YouTube "scary"!  I'm inclined to think that's not a compliment!  Copies available soon for those that would like them.

The week ahead
Lots of administration to do plus work on the research degree.  Pastoral visits also needed through the week.

Tuesday 10th  Planning Meeting for the "Holiday at Home" programme booked in August.  Followed by my regular activities in Gartree Prison.  The concert is scheduled for the following week.

Wednesday 11th I hope to go to the Christian Resources Exhibition in Esher, Surrey.

Saturday 14th Annual Assembly in Birmingham

Sunday 15th Yelvertoft Congregational Church

Monday 16th Sunrise Ministries Trustees Meeting, Battle, East Sussex.

Thank you for your partnership.

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment