Saturday 5 February 2011

This Week's News

Hi,

Thanks for keeping up to date.  About 48 hours ago I felt rather as if I was standing on a high diving board looking down at the water.  The problem is I don't swim more that a few strokes.  What I was actually doing was going off to Winchester for the Induction day for Research Students.  It did seem daunting at that time.  However, I have now made a splash and enjoyed the day.  There were two special sessions, various activities like getting a student ID card and paying fees, and introductory visits to the University Library, Student Services, and the Internet Cafe.  Now the work begins!

My research subject is how rural churches in Britain understand and engage with the task of evangelisation and other aspects of mission.  The reason for undertaking this is to leave behind a piece of serious research that might help rural Christians be more effective in sharing the Christian gospel within their home communities.  I think that for many the context of village life affects what aspects of the gospel are seen as more or less significant, and certainly how Christians engage in evangelism.  But first I have quite a lot of preparatory work to do.

As to the rest of the past week, the school assembly on Monday was OK but a little difficult as it was linked to the theme of Candlemas; we had an excellent time with the two choirs at Gartree Prison on Tuesday, and the Pastoral Care Board on Wednesday gave a positive reception to the leaflet I had written and advanced the chaplaincy aspects of ministry recognition within the Congregational Federation.

I had a nice warm glow through the week after the super buffet lunch on my birthday and all the love shown (You should see my facebook!).  Doreen's birthday followed on Tuesday and she has been gloating that she had more cards than I did!

The Week Ahead
Sunday 6th -  Free Day
Monday 7th - Security Training at the prison
Tuesday 8th - School Assembly at Yelvertoft in the morning; choirs at Gartree Prison in the afternoon; talk on rural mission to a Women's Fellowship in the evening.
Wednesday & Thursday 9th/10th - convening an Inter-Church Board Meeting in Cardiff for the Congregational Federation.
Friday and Saturday - no appointments but plenty to do!
Sunday 13th - Yelvertoft

While I always value prayers for these engagements, every day there is a full day's work plus various informal meetings some of which are quite significant.  We do need your prayers and thank you most sincerely.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment